“Pictures say more than a thousand words”. This metaphor, which has been quoted countless times, is especially true in product communication. After all, visual marketing stimulates the viewer’s imagination, because stories take place infront of the recipient’s eyes, which are emotionally linked to the product and the brand. Visual product communication removes doubts from prospective customers and creates trust regarding to product quality.
Accordingly, visual content is becoming increasingly important in marketing communication. In addition to classic product photography, the importance of product videos and 3D models is increasing.
On the one hand, the effort required to generate product videos and 3D models is astonishingly lower than for classic photography, where locations, photographers and, if necessary, models are often booked and images are then elaborately post-processed. On the other hand, videos and images provide an improved shopping experience, as customers can see the products from all angles. Visual content also leads to a longer time spent on site, improves conversion rates and at the same time the organic ranking.
“80% of marketers say that using visual content has directly led to an increase in sales.”
Source: Wyzowl, 2020
Product videos as an e-commerce booster
Videos are the most efficient way to demonstrate a product and its benefits to online store visitors. Especially with complex products that require explanation,videos help to reduce the purchase risk and accelerate the purchase decision process. Even in short video clips lasting about half a minute, content can be communicated that would take up to a page in pure text format. And the trend for online users to prefer videos over text continues to grow strongly.
“Consumers are 4 times more likely to watch a video about a product than read a product description text.”
Good product videos therefore help to fill shopping carts. But what makes good product videos? The following tips will help you with the visual marketing of your products:
- Think about how you can emotionally bind your prospects to your products and define an appropriate storyboard. In our Photo Clips you will find some examples of how well-known manufacturers such as BOSCH, Wagner or Phillips use striking product videos to push their e-commerce sales.
- In addition to feature-based product videos, consider review videos from testers. Content that is not directly generated by the manufacturer itself often appears more authentic and increases consumer trust. Take a look at some of our product review videos to give you an idea of how DemoUp Cliplister can help you in this discipline.
- Make sure that your multimedia content loads quickly on your platform, otherwise the bounce rate can more than double due to long loading times. Our intelligent dynamic image delivery feature helps you deliver images quickly to all devices without quality loss and optimizes your load times by upto 90%.
Interactive product communication: With 3D/AR-models in e-commerce to a better product understanding
The way a product is perceived is one of the biggest influencing factors in the purchase decision process in e-commerce. Static images alone are no longer sufficient to present products appropriately in e-commerce. Compared to the in-store shopping experience, online shoppers do not have the opportunity to interact directly with products. Cognitive, affective and sensory impressions can not be gained directly. As a result, there is a greater risk associated with buying online. Accordingly, there is a need to develop a better visual product presentation for online retail.
A 360-degree view allows consumers to better absorb product information and gain a realistic understanding of individual product features. Consumers can rotate a product and zoom in on various areas, allowing them to better capture details.
The use of 3D product presentations has a significant impact on sales growth:
- With appealing 3D/AR models, online stores generate more attention and customer satisfaction because customer expectations are not merely met, but exceeded.
- Visual elements entice prospective customers to engage more intensively with a product, which in turn leads to a longer time spent in the online store.
- Internet users remember visual content better than pure text passages. With pure text, readers can store an average of 20% of the content. In comparison, up to 80% of visual content is stored in mind (source: Wyzowl). Visual representations thus help to build a stronger relationship with a product.
- Meaningful product presentations reduce the number of returns, as customers get a better idea of the products and their features.
- Onlinestores with 3D product presentations achieve up to 40% more conversions compared to online stores with exclusively traditional marketing methods (source: Pureweb).
Conclusion: Visual content represents an increasingly important element in e-commerce to balance the advantages of brick-and-mortar retail and offer a compelling shopping experience. The diverse possibilities of digital product communication are suitable for all manufacturers and retailers who offer physical products.
How about some practical insights?
Want more exciting insights on how you can increase your e-commerce sales by using visual content technologies? Whether you are a retailer or a manufacturer, DemoUp Cliplister delivers the right solution for every business model. See for yourself in a free and non-binding online demo and learn how we have already successfully supported numerous well-known customers with similar requirement profiles in their digital marketing strategies.